Friday, April 22, 2011

GIRL, GIMME DEM DIGITS!

Now, I'm all about "seizing opportunities" or what have you- but what is it about guys that they think that after not even talking to you at all, they can ask for your number out of the blue and expect a positive response? Am I the only one that is extremely turned off by this? 

The annoying thing is, it's always with guys that are the opposite of what I would actually date- the "gangster" immature fast food workers, the middle-aged men, or the super-cocky, arrogant meatheads.

Whatever happened to striking up clever conversation? Personally, just RANDOMLY asking a girl for her number just because you think she looks cute is completely impersonal, and just annoys me instead of flatters me. It seems to come across as forced: "Oh, here is a girl I find attractive. I need to ask for her number in the slight chance that she may agree before I lose my chance." 

Now maybe I'm just really shy and don't know how to approach guys really, but if I see a guy that I think is attractive, I'm not going to force things to come together. Either something will happen that will create a natural conversation between us, or I will come up with a clever way to introduce myself or break the ice. (The latter rarely, if ever, happens as I'm incapable of being clever unless I'm forced to be. And I'll never force myself on my own terms because I know I'll probably end up saying something completely stupid.) But if we never end up actually meeting, I just chalk it up to "that wasn't meant to be." 

I mean, even if a guy is the pinnacle of attractiveness to me- if he just comes up to me randomly and asks for my number, I still probably will be wary in giving it to him. I'dbe skeptical. I just think the whole ritual is completely asinine and dumb to be honest! Now, if he makes a funny comment on a book I'm looking at in a bookstore, or playfully insults my drink order at Starbucks, that's another story. I mean, it shows the tiniest bit of effort, and that goes a long way!

The trouble is, it's never the guys I think are attractive that have ever asked for my number. No, it's always those guys that are on the complete opposite polarity of desirability that feel as if they are the answer to my prayers. 

Meh. At least I finally figured out that lying and saying I had a boyfriend was an effective repellant towards this attack. It makes me seem like the noble girlfriend for denying their approach, instead of having to awkwardly say how I don't like to "give my number to strangers," and have to scramble for different variations of saying so as I try to maneuver my way through a barrage of desperate attempts on the guy's part, making them feel embarrassed. Sure, it's lying, but at least it's saving both of us humiliation and it just seems to nip it in the bud.

Now here's the question: do many girls actually respond to this? I mean, they'd have to, if guys continue to do it on a daily basis. I just can't even fathom giving my phone number to a guy I've spoken maybe one word to  and picturing any sort of relationship forming from such. 

Maybe I'm just too skeptical or am asking too much. Girls- what do you think? Do you agree with this or am I just cold-hearted?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not cold-hearted at all...I usually do the same, and say I have a boyfriend. I used to wear a "creeper ring" so then I wouldn't even have to say anything, just hold up my hand. I especially hate the pretentious guys who think that if a woman shouldn't immediately fork over the digits, she's a cold, frigid bitch. As though the woman should feel privileged that they've been asked for their number from some creepy stranger. Uhm, no. I'm with you all the way here!

-Lizi