Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Progress!

So As You Like It is over, which marks the last rehearsal process of my college career basically. Not accepting a role in the One-Acts or doing alot of dances for Dance Extravaganza this year was probably one of the best decisions I've made. It feels weird in a way but I'm going to be spending these last couple weeks preparing for graduation and my real life. Here is my checklist of things I need to get done:

  • Get a Job. More than likely some sort of full-time "survival" job that I can start immediately so that I can pay the rent! I'm planning on going to apply at restaurants and places like that these next couple weekends.
  • Get an apartment. I have a place in mind,the thing is- I can't secure the apartment until I get a job so I can let them know that I'll be able to make the payments which is annoying. So, the sooner I get a job, the sooner I can get the apt.! Good thing I have a home base I can stay in for a few days or a week or so until I get my own place if need be. I'd rather move directly from Columbus to Atl though, so I'll try to do whatever it takes to make that happen for sure!
I feel like I should add more to this list but honestly that's all I really ABSOLUTELY need to get done. Of course I should be networking and looking for modeling/acting work but I'm already doing that. Speaking of- I have some pretty cool and exciting things coming up:
  • I've got a paid modeling gig on Friday! It is for a waxing salon's website and print ads and possibly a car wrap. (Yes, there may be a car riding around the Atlanta area soon with my face on it, haha!) Even better-  it's a retro pin-up girl/Bettie Page type theme which I love, of course! So that's pretty cool
  • I'm now going to be doing on-camera reviews of plasma TV's and tablet PCs for the websites http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/, www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com, and http://www.tabletbuyingguide.com/. This is paid work, too which is nice. But yeah I'm essentially going to be filmed giving in-depth reviews of the items for use on the websites, which are pretty high-traffic and one of the highest ranked on Google and such. So major exposure for me and monetary compensation as well. Technology is only getting better and better and more products keep coming out so the nice thing about this is that it is a job that keeps on going. Of course, it depends on how much they like me ;) I start filming my first review on the 22nd!
  • I got cast in a pilot for an original screenplay that is being put on by an Atlanta production company that produces commercials, music videos, etc. in the Atlanta area and have had some of their videos on MTV2!. I film in Savannah on the 24th. It's not paid initially but once it is financially backed by investors and clients it will turn into paid work for me. So yay on that!
I'm of course still working on getting an agency- but I have found that if you know how to network, meet people, and respond to casting calls and basically constantly put yourself out there, you will be surprised at the opportunities! Work is definitely out there. Some websites that have helped me so much are www.modelmayhem.com, the Southern Casting Call (http://excoboard.com/THESOUTHERNCASTINGCALL), Craigslist (believe it or not!) And "Like"ing casting FB fan pages such as Extras Casting, Last Looks Casting, Bill Marinella Casting, etc. While most of the calls are for extra work- sometimes it can turn into featured extra work or a small role. I got called to go to an audition through Extras Casting once, so it is definitely possible.

But anyways, it's just a nice feeling to feel like things are coming along slowly but surely. :)

No comments: