Wednesday, May 9, 2012

What Makes You Happy?

So, I've been graduated for a year already.

First of all, WHERE did the time go?! It seemed like it was just last week when I was walking across that stage, ready to face the "Real world" and eager to get out of the somewhat rigid college lifestyle. No longer was I bound by the restrictions of classes! I was going to take over the world!

Or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong- I still fully intend on taking over the world (I'm not exactly sure what the implications of that are....yet....but basically all I'm saying is I want to do BIG things!) However one of the main things I've had to learn is that everything is not just going to come together at once, immediately. Success, however you want to define it, comes with an obligatory "hustlin'" period- one in which many difficulties are faced and lessons are learned. It's definitely not easy, and everyone's periods last different lengths of time- however, they are very much necessary, I think.

So as I approach my second post-graduation year, I had to evaluate myself and my career and the direction I was heading. While I have definitely explored so many new directions with my acting career as well as opened new doors with other skills that I have, I realized that I was feeling stagnant.

First of all, I'm at a job that is not the worst job ever, yet still doesn't really fulfill me creatively. Haven't been getting much work through my agent which is a little disappointing. Even modeling and make-up gigs have been pretty scarce here recently! And even though I've had some wonderful things and people come into my life, I still was feeling a little bummed and just restless. So needless to say, I had to do a little thinking.

What is it that makes me happy? The one thing that just makes me feel alive and like nothing in the world can go wrong?

Performing live theatre. The stage. Music. Lights. The audience.





There is absolutely nothing that thrills me quite as much as performing live theatre does!

So why have I been not necessarily focusing on it this past year?

Well, as soon as I graduated I was kind of overtaken with so many film opportunities that I decided to just run with it. And like I said, it was great to kind of broaden my experience and horizons in that way. However there comes a time when you have to really get back to the basics, really. I was a little discouraged by the ATL theatre scene initially, but now I'm at this point where I'm like.....wait. If OTHER people can do it- then I can too! I just gotta be savvy and get in with a good company. If it means doing some interning/admin work, then so be it.

It's interesting too because earlier in the year I was dead set on moving to L.A. eventually, pursuing film- but after my recent trip to NYC, I've decided that I just love the city so much and that it really feels like home to me. And interestingly enough, it's coinciding with my recent rekindling of theatre. So who knows what will happen.

Not knowing is half the adventure ;)

So recently, I've begun hardcore audition searching for theatres, and had an audition yesterday that went really well! I vibed with the directors and staff immediately and it was great to do a reading instead of just a 60 second monologue/song combo sort of thing. I felt like I was back in a comfortable place that I'd missed. So here's hoping things start turning around!

So now I ask you, what makes you happy? If there was anything that you could be doing that would make you happier than the things that are taking up your time right now WHY are you not pursuing it! Life is too short to waste on things that suck your soul. Start today and go after what you truly want to do. It may be a struggle at first, but in the end it will be so worth it! You are capable of ANYTHING!


1 comment:

Sunshine Monica said...

me, I love to write! But my over-analyzing of things has created the world's worst writer's block. I've recently had my own "year in review" and decided to take action too.

I'm really glad your getting back into theatre and who knows, maybe pursuing your love will take you into your dream (film?). Those two seem to intertwine, I mean look at Amy Adams, or Natalie Portman, right??

Sunshine