Friday, January 28, 2011

It's ACTF time!

I'm so excited because Tuesday I will be headed off to ACTF!

What is ACTF you ask?

Well, for each production the theatre department puts on, we have an adjudicator which is just another theatre professor from colleges all over the southeast who come and gives us feedback on our production, as well as choosing one student that stood out to them in some way. The director of the show picks another, and those two students compete at ACTF (or, the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival.)

We compete in our region- against many other students from other universities, and we have to perform 2 scenes and a monologue with a partner. This year the festival is in Daytona Beach, Florida so that is super exciting!

I feel really good about my material, I am doing a scene from Jason Miller's "Lou Gehrig Did Not Die of Cancer" and a scene from "In The Heights" (it's a musical scene- the end of the song "When You're Home!) As well as my good old tried and true "snowflake" monologue those that have seen my audition packages over and over have come to know well.

Today we are performing our ACTF competition packages in front of the entire theatre department as a sort of showcase type thing- it's a little nervewracking, but I feel really confident in my material and it is exciting to get to show off the hard work we have done.

A student from CSU has actually WON ACTF the past 2 years so needless to say we all feel a little pressure to continue the pattern. (If you win, you go on to Washington, D.C. to perform at the Kennedy Center at a national level.) Winning ACTF entails prize scholarship money, as well as other awards including professional acting jobs! So it's pretty exciting.

But whatever happens- I'm just glad to be able to get out of Columbus for a week and to be in wonderful moderate weather (the temps are in the 60s/70s!) and to just enjoy the experience. I'll keep you posted as to what happens. :)

No comments: