Wednesday, August 10, 2011

And the summer ends...

Let me preface this post by saying this:
This summer has put me through the ringer emotionally, physically, and everything in between.
Transitioning from college to "real person" life is very hard, I must say. I had heard others talk about it and thought, nah, I'm sure it will be fine...but no. Seriously I don't think I have had this hard of a time adjusting to situations in a long time. I've had mini bouts of depression, mixed in with some really awesome times as well- so it's just been...weird.

Career-wise- it's been pretty exciting. I've got some cool things under my belt, and I feel like I'm just in this "brewing" phase...like in the next couple seasons I predict some majorly awesome things to happen and I'm just waiting right now. But it's okay- because fall is almost here! Yayy! But yeah, I mean it's been a little slow, not constant acting work or anything but that was to be expected. But with Backalley Strut's marketing material and fundraising campaigns about to start soon and some other projects in the works- I'm really excited about what is to come in the future- but I have to say, this summer has taught me alot about patience, ESPECIALLY when it comes to my career.

Job-wise, I've been through 2 different "survival" jobs. The first one didn't really work out, so I am at Taco Mac now and honestly it is working out so much better for me. I'm making a ton more money than I did before, and am actually pretty financially secure right now, which is an amazing feeling for sure! The only downfall here is that I'm working alot more. Like...I feel like I LIVE there. The good thing about that though, is that it kind of allows me to create friendly relationships with the other people I work with, and it will help me transition from "new girl" quicker. I already feel pretty assimilated, and this week has definitely been easier than the first. My first week I was scheduled for literally 8 shifts including 3 doubles...it was really rough, especially seeing as I'm just not used to that yet! It really drained me. But I think that I am getting more used to it now which is good. I don't foresee myself staying there FOREVER or anything, but it is a pretty positive environment, the clientele is easy-going, and I haven't had any real issues or anything. So that's always good.

Something else that's going on in my life right now that I'm SUPER excited about is that I'm in a band! It has not been officially named yet, however it includes me on the keys, Jonathan on guitar, Drew on guitar/bass, and probably other various people will join in with other instruments. We also all do the vocals so we 've got some pretty cool harmonies and such. We already wrote and recorded our first song. It isn't completely finished so it won't be released yet for a while- however it is so awesome to be able to hear something that you created completely on your own. I mean we all wrote the lyrics and music collectively and I've just been in a creative dreamworld being able to do something like that. I never thought I was capable of it and have always wanted to create music but didn't realize just how I would do it- but sometimes it's so crazy how you meet just the right people in your life that allow you to do all the things you wanted to do. I mean, conveniently, Drew actually owns his own recording studio, so what it would have cost thousands of dollars for others to do, we did...for free. And with Jon's video production skills we can have an epic music video as well. Basically- we have cheated the system ;) hehe. But anyways, I am lovin' our first song and can't wait for it to be released to the world...it's kind of surreal how quickly it all came about but I have a feeling that we're on to something here...
It really does feel good though to feel capable of expressing myself creatively in this new way- being able to write something that I and so many people can relate to! :)


No comments: