Monday, January 12, 2009

So the other day I was at an audition for Six Flags.
They are starting up their shows again for the summer, mainly the country song and dance show, and the looney tunes characters talent show type thing. They were also looking for hosts for karaoke and other various events going on. It was a pretty grueling audition process-
It started at 10 AM, well registration did, and I didn't get out of there until about 5:30!
Total there was about 70+ people there.
We had an acting, singing, and dancing portion, alternating with different groups.
I sang "My Strongest Suit" from Aida as well as "But Not For Me" from Crazy For You.
After these three portions, they had callbacks, in which we had to sing a specific song from the actual show, mainly just to see if you could do a high C# belt.

I did actually get into this last group of callbacks, which was pretty exciting as the group only had like 11 girls, and I believe I did my absolute best on the callback song, and it went perfectly!
I'm really excited though, because I'm SO close to getting cast... and if I do then I will have a professional acting job all summer long, which would be AMAZING.
So keep your fingers crossed!

Some interesting facts:
  • American Idol Season 1 contestant EJay Day was there and in the male callback group. If you don't remember him, he was the first one voted off. I think he sang the song "I'll Be" on the AI Soundtrack for the first season. (Which he of course sang for his audition, as well haha. The auditions were open so we could see everyone in their initial auditions.
  • Some guy actually sang Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl" in his singing audition. To make it even better, 1) he could NOT sing, he basically 'talked' the song, 2) he had no sheet music or backing track, 3) before his audition, he actually said 'Hey.. I don't have any music so I wanna get the audience to help me out...' and proceeded to clap in rhythm, urging the audience to follow along.. and we did.. laughing the whole time. The judges surprisingly let him sing a good bit of it... until they finally said "Okay, Stop.. stop. We just wanted to see how far you could go. In which the guy then said "Oh I can sing the whole thing!" We all were glad he did not.
  • Another guy actually introduced his song as "Crabby Patty" by Spongebob. He sang a line (if you could call it singing...) and then started laughing. He asked if he could start it over and he did... and ended up laughing again. He then proceeded to walk off the audition area and said "I can't do this!" laughing the whole way. So bizarre!
  • The songs I heard the most were, "Happy Birthday" (No lie! One girl even had the pianist play it for her without sheet music.. and the pianist gave her the starting note and the girl went completely off key, and the pianist was trying her hardest to follow her but she just kept jumping all over the place. What was funny is that the girl kept looking in desperation at the pianist as if it was her fault lol.) And Carrie Underwood's Before He Cheats. SO many girls sang this song. It's like... I know this is a country music show, but really???
It was a long, crazy day, but at the end of it I'm pretty proud of myself and it really establishes that I want to do this SO bad. Even with all of the craziness of auditioning and the stress it can bring, there's no better feeling than being prepared and just bringing all you have and having the chance to perform in front of people. Because really, that's what it's all about! This audition really helped me confirm even more-so that this is really what I want to do. I know the life of an actor is one of uncertainty, rejection, and struggle, but there is nothing else that I want to do.

There is also an audition coming up in March for High School Musical 2 at the Legacy theatre in Tyrone, GA, which is a paid professional theatre company. I'm really excited about that because it is during the summer! I am mad because I never have time to do stuff for the Springer or other theatres, because it is ALWAYS conflicting with school stuff, and like right now I'm in 2 shows and I also am trying to maintain all A's. Now, if I get the Six Flags job, I won't audition as I won't have time, I'm sure. But if I don't get it this is another option, and it will be great to have a professional theatre credit!

Anyways, so things in that area are going well, I think.
Today is the first day of classes for the new semester. My class voice class was canceled, so I have only been to one, Stage Movement so far. In about 30 minutes I have Stage Management, then costume shop, then I am done for classes...although I have rehearsal from 7:30-9:30, and then I need to find an activity for my Meisner class...uhh. That is like the hardest thing ever. I hate looking for activities so much! Oh well. I will find one, I'm sure.

But so far I have kept up on my resolution to look like a normal person! I did my hair and I did pretty eye makeup and put on nice clothes and everything! And I even ate BREAKFAST! =O
I really dont' know when I'm going to be able to start working out.. my schedule is sooo packed that it's not even funny. But I may fit it in at nighttime.. since I take showers at night that may be the ideal situation! Actually, that would probably work well... especially once Fat Men in Skirts is over. (Fat Men in Skirts opens on January 30th, make sure you go see it! =])


Movie you need to see: Eagle Vs. Shark. I saw this over the break on Watch-movies.net...but I'm pretty sure you could rent it in movie stores or on iTunes. It is an indie film based in New Zealand and co-stars Jemaine Clement from "Flight of the Conchords." It is a quirky love story, type comedy with the directing style of Napoleon Dynamite, but with an awesome soundtrack like Juno. It is heartwarming, and I loved it and I'm pretty sure I cried at one point. But yeah. I definitely recommend it!
Song you should download: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo. Such a cool electric/funky/dance song!

I really want some ankle boots like these Alexander McQueen ones:
Too bad these are over $1,000. Although they are super fabulous!

No comments: