Monday, March 14, 2011

Things I've Learned in College- 1.) Create your Own Opportunities.

As I'm nearing the end of my college career- I'd love to document some of the things that I learned these past four years that I think will be helpful to others out there.

One of the most important lessons I've learned is that you have to just create your own opportunities in this world.
The bottom line is that things are NEVER just handed to you.
I don't know why people think that's not true, that they can just slide through life and somehow things will just fall into place without any work? I see so many people complaining about their situations in life yet don't do anything pro-active about it. I mean- if you are not going to be the one to create and seize every opportunity given to you- someone else will.

I've learned this first-hand. My very first day of college here in the theatre program was also the first day of General auditions for the Fall season. Me, being unprepared, memorized my monologue a few days before, thinking that I could fly by the seat of my pants and obviously I would get a great part because I had just come from high school where I was the lead in shows for years. I thought I had it in the bag.
WRONG!
I completely bombed! I got through about 3 lines and stammered and stalled, realized I would not be able to finish, said "Thank you," and walked offstage, completely devastated. It was a real low point for me, especially because ALL my friends were cast that first semester. But you know what- I worked my butt off on my next semester's audition package, was super prepared, and then I got cast on tour. Also, when I wasn't cast that first semester I did freestages, directing scenes, and anything I could get my hands on in order to get myself seen and show that I was a hard worker. I did tech work out the wazoo, tons of directing scenes, and freestages galore for the first 2 years of college, in fact. It wasn't until my Jr. year when I realized that I didn't need to break my back in order to gain credibility- although I still worked hard, other opportunities were finally coming into place and I started getting cast in mainstages in good roles more often.

I wholeheartedly believe it was all the small, little things I did the first couple years in college that have built me up to where I am now. (Not that I'm at any sort of utmost pinnacle of perfection or anything, but you get my point!)

And this is not true just in theatre- I believe it can be applied to any field. Every single opportunity, even if it may not seem like it is worth it in the short term is so critical to your success and could be at the very least a learning experience, and at the most could be a vital stepping stone to a much larger project or goal. The important thing is to just not expect things to be handed to you. You have to go out there and make them happen. And if you're not willing to put the work in to make things happen, then there may need to be some re-evaluation on why you are studying what you are studying in the first place. Now I know not everyone is a super work-aholic and anal retentive student like I am, but there is something to be said I think for putting everything you have into what you do. And sure, to some it may seem like I'm taking things too seriously or what have you. But hey. I'd rather take things too seriously and immerse myself in my goals and do what it takes to be successful than to waste my time on frivolousness and regret not doing what I needed to do in order to make my goals and dreams fully realized.


So to all you freshman/sophomores out there especially theatre majors- don't be discouraged if you are not getting cast in everything initially- or if it seems like nobody is noticing your work. Because I guarantee if you stick with it, work hard, take your classes seriously, and are respectful and professional, things will naturally fall into place! Visualize your success- positive thinking is one of the most important things you can do. Worrying about things you don't want to happen only attracts those bad things to happen. Thinking of the worst that can happen in every situation will keep you in a rut of negativity that will take longer to get out of than if you did the opposite and decided how you can make every negative situation a better one and taking advantage of any positive opportunities you come across. And yes, we will all make mistakes, and we all will fail at some point. But all you can do is learn from it and move on. Those who dwell on their failures and incapabilities (which are usually non-existent anyways) will obviously never get where they want to be.

You are in control of what you want. You create your own priorities and opportunities. Don't let anyone ever tell you different or make you feel incapable because we are all able to achieve greatness in whatever we decide to do so just get out there and LIVE. Pursue your passions whatever it may be. Don't let the world pass by you. That's just something I've learned over the past few years :)

1 comment:

Dolly Paolucci said...

Your maturity manifests seamlessly in this post, Janine. I guess you've really learned a lot in college. You're right about what you said regarding opportunities. Sometimes, they're opened for us, but sometimes, we have to make them ourselves. But that's just the beginning of your success. The important thing is how you handle that opportunity to your benefit. Great post, Janine!