Tuesday, June 14, 2011

So life as of lately has been pretty cool. Yesterday I had my audition at the Alliance Theatre for their original new show: "The Real Tweenagers of Atlanta." There's a funny story about how I actually GOT the audition:

So, I'm just at work, serving tables, and I get one table that was particularly chatty and it was slow so we got to talking. It's really interesting how many people are actually interested in their server's life, particularly in a restaurant like Dolce, where it's not a "get in, eat, get out" type of place. But anyways, I told them I was an actress and they kind of chuckled a bit. Well come to find out I was serving the table of 2 of the staff members of the Alliance Theatre, which is basically the best theatre company in Atlanta. They do lots of collaborations with celebrities and produce new plays as well as old ones, and are just super respected and well-known.After some more chatting they told me to come in to audition for a show that they are doing on Monday and asked for my information. I received a confirmation e-mail today!
It was just totally CRAZY...because normally you have to send in your headshot and resume to even get an audition with them at all, or go through Unifieds or something like that. But just by simple going to work at my completely unrelated to the industry serving job, I ended up scoring an audition. The irony is that I was planning on submitting my headshot and resume to them the next day in hopes of being called to come audition.
I never realized that my serving job could be an important networking tool- mainly because my last serving job was in Columbus, GA where there is nobody that can really do anything for me. But here in Atlanta, the odds are much greater of meeting influential people I suppose! Last week I also served a staff member of Actors Express who was cracking me UP. We ended up getting in a conversation about my love life, baha. I don't think he was as influential in the casting arena as the people I served from the Alliance, so no auditions there- but I'm sure he would recognize me if our paths crossed again at an audition!

As far as other career things go, once I get some new headshots taken, I'm  going to be represented by another non-exclusive agency here in Atlanta which is pretty cool! I have been meaning to get some new headshots done anyways but I just gotta get the money saved up first. Thankfully I've been making more money at Dolce here recently and hitting my nightly goals which is nice! :) I'm glad business has been picking up, even if somehow I tend to end up with the lingering tables at the end of every shift...literally...I'm like the LAST server to leave. Every time. But it's okay! I've been making some pretty good tips considering the amount of work I actually do, haha. It's pretty much the easiest serving job ever.
Also last night I went out with a few of the people I work with and it was so much fun! I'm glad that I work with some pretty cool people. It definitely makes it less like "work," ya know?

I'm just ridin' out this whole post-college thing and while sometimes it is hard to be patient...I definitely like it. :)

No comments: