Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Typical Day in My Life

9:30 AM: Alarm goes off and I awaken from my slumber. Most of the time I'm woken up by the obnoxious buzzing my phone makes when I receive an e-mail before that, and the curiosity of what that e-mail may hold forces me to get up and check it on my computer. And by "get up" I mean reach down to the floor where my laptop nests and lift it up to my bed where I proceed to check it.

9:45 AM: I realize that it's the next day and it's time to eat breakfast! I get really excited when I realize that I bought groceries so I can eat a real breakfast instead of a slice of bread and an orange, which is what I've been eating for the past week.  I make a bowl of vanilla greek yogurt with chopped up banana, and eat it in front of the computer, on my bed, as I have no furniture in any common spaces of my apartment.

10:45 AM: I see that  I've spent an hour on the computer checking e-mails, facebook, twitter, all the other social networking sites that I use, as well as checking casting calls on various sites and doing networking/career things. I  bemoan the passing of time and wonder where it went! I know that I need to get up and go work-out before it gets too late and disrupts my day but I usually find something else to do instead. (Things such as writing a blog perhaps...?)

11:30: I finally get around to going to the gym. And by "gym" I mean, the large walk-in closet sized fitness center located in my apt. complex  that includes 4 machines total. But hey- I can get my run on! I play mind games with myself to make running 3 miles on the treadmill a more pleasant experience, and just get it over with. I sweat about 5 gallons of water and wonder why the small fans on the treadmill seem to be blowing air but not in any particular direction that I can control. After my run, I feel very accomplished and check myself out in the large mirror lining the wall to see if I've lost 10 lbs. yet.

12:45: Time for lunch! I get very hungry after working out so I make something to eat. I haven't brought all my cookware in from my car trunk yet (it's such a heavy box!) so I stick to things that don't need extensive preparation. Today I'll probably eat a salad.

1:30: Shower time!

2:00: I wonder where all my time has gone and scramble to get ready so that I can do something productive before work. Lots of times this includes going to the bank, going to Kinkos, cleaning, running around Atlanta, etc.

3:30: I head out for work and hope I don't run into too much traffic on 85. Usually I'm fine at this hour, though. Thank God I live RIGHT by 285, because Roswell Rd. is craycray busy!

4:00: The restaurant doesn't even open until 5, so all the servers have to do things like polishing glasses and cleaning for that first hour. It's also a sort of a social hour, where we catch up and talk as we clean. Sometimes it goes by pretty fast, but other times when people are in particularly blah moods, it can go by really slow... this usually tells me how the rest of the day is going to be.

5:00: The restaurant opens, but most of the time things are very slow until about an hour later so we all go fold our obligatory napkins in the back and wait until we are told we have a table. This is also a social hour-type thing.

6:00: Woo! A table! I go do my server thang and charm my way to a good tip...that is unless you're that table that left me $2 on a $150 check when everything went smoothly....darn you!

6:10: I make myself a glass of water at the bar and continually fill it and sip on it throughout my shift. This causes me to use the restroom about 20 times and proves inconvenient when it gets busy at around 7:30-8ish and I am double-sat.

6:30 I get another table...and this goes on of course until the end of the night. Depending on how busy it is, I can spend alot of the time at the bar hanging out with the fellow servers bemoaning how slow it is on this particular day, or I can be running around and wondering where all our bread is, or trying to find a manager to run a coupon trough the system.

10:00 If it is a weekday, this is when the restaurant closes. However, since I somehow ALWAYS end up with the lingering tables, we'll say the restaurant actually closes at around 11 for me.

11:00 I do all my closing out procedures and head home. Yesterday I worked out with a couple of my coworkers- one of who is a fighter and is super hardcore. I literally felt like I was going to die at certain points but it's good for me! I'm going to try to make this a weekly thing. But usually I just go home.

11:30: I'll grab a snack and do more computery stuff. Catch up on all the fun things I missed while I was at work and submit myself to extra work and other casting calls and what have you.

1:00: Around this time I realize that I'm tired but somehow I end up facebook stalking someone completely insignificant.

1:30: I realize that I'm stupid and I just need to get to bed. So I do.

No comments: