Thursday, May 12, 2011

It's overrr!!!

Well, folks- I did it. I am officially an alumni and graduate of Columbus State University!
 
Naturally, it feels a little odd but moreso it's extremely exhilarating to be free from the confines of academic life. I mean, I have been taking classes during the summers and Maymesters as well, so it's like I literally have not ever gotten a break from school! It is truly a liberating experience, especially now that I'm free to really pursue the things I want to. 

So what's been going on with me lately?
Well, right now I'm temporarily living with my wonderful friend Summer who is an angel for allowing me to reside there as I begin working. This past month I've been going back and forth from Columbus to Atlanta job-hunting, interviewing, auditioning, etc. and it's so nice to now have a home base right smack dab in Atlanta. I mean, Atlanta's been treating me very well lately, I must say!

My first official day out in Atlanta I landed my "real" job that I so desperately needed. Technically I pretty much had the job at On the Border, but I really knew that I wanted to work somewhere that I could make more money, preferably in an upscale environment. Well, I had an interview at Dolce Enoteca , an Italian restaurant in Atlantic Station yesterday and ended up getting hired right then and there which was wonderful!This place is gorgeous and I'm super excited. I start training next week!





On top of my real job that I'm super excited about- I have as of right now (I will hear later if I get another for another show) but I have a callback for Thoroughly Modern Millie at the Atlanta Lyric Theatre! I'm so happy because there were a LOT of people that auditioned, and I would literally...kill.....to be Millie. I mean, I just love the show and the music so it would be absolutely amazing to get that. I'm gonna go rock it out at this audition and show 'em what I got! 

Yesterday was a successful networking day. Now, more then ever, I'm seeing really just how important networking is. And yes, everyone says that, but REALLY....it's true! Always have business cards on hand because I've given out more cards in the past few weeks or so than I ever have. I mean, I literally had a chance to network and meet a photographer while I was in Sephora and we exchanged information. 
Later that day I had the opportunity to do make-up for a TV pilot show with my friend Jonathan at Acosta Productions in union with Pinon Tree Productions and Bright Forest Productions that is going to be pitched to stations such as Turner Classic Movies and AMC. It's called Back Alley Classic Movies (NOT to be confused with Back Alley Strut! :P), and is essentially a talk show based on old film-noir type movies where there are hosts who talk about the details of the movie before and after, including a Q and A session with the live studio audience. It was actually pretty interesting. Even though I just did make-up, I had the chance to meet with directors/writers and the like who are casting films and such and who now know me as an actress as well as a make-up artist. 

The other film projects I've been working on such as Wingless Butterfly and Back Alley Strut are currently in or are soon to be in post-production. I will be sure to post some clips whenever I get the chance! :)

I should be starting filming for the football talk show that I'm a part this Sunday actually. I'm a tad bit stressed, as I need to catch up a bit on some football so I can jump in at pivotal moments, haha, but it IS scripted. So, that's always nice :)

I'm also excited because I received my first submission notice from my agent! While I was not actually selected to audition by the client, it was still an exhilarating experience and really solidifies it for me. 

It's a little crazy because I already feel like I'm playing the juggling game- trying to work with the training schedule for my new job in addition to the other projects and callbacks I've got going on is a little overwhelming, but I know it will all work out just fine in the end, it always does.

I'd rather be having to deal with conlicts than nothing going on at all! 

I'm so grateful for all these opportunities I've been given, and feel extremely fortunate to have some great roots planted already and to have such wonderful people help me out. Even though I've been spending gas money out the wazoo, and those last few weeks of college were super stressful and I'd been lacking a social life, it seems to all be paying off now. 

I feel like I'm right where I need to be. And that feels nice. Just got to get my own permanent apartment and I'll be set!

No comments: