Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thoughts on next semester and graduation.

So I'm sitting here looking through the theatre calendar for the spring and just trying to orient myself with what is to come.
This is my conclusion: I'm going to be literally CRAZY. I'm going ahead and checking out on any sort of life I may try to have next semester. As there will be no social life to be had. This is why.

January.
Starting in January are juries for KC-ACTF every Friday. Also- I will be needing to do costume crew for Charlotte's Web, which starts on the 17th-23rd. I will also be preparing for KC-ACTF convo on the 28th (KC-ACTF is an acting competition for theatre majors in which you prepare 2 scenes and a monologue/song to perform in order to win scholarships and other awards.), and then I'm off to Daytona on Feb. 1st. Let's add to that As You Like It's preliminary rehearsals as well as In Dreams/Nightmares rehearsals. (Robin's Sr. Project)

February
February is a literal month of INSANITY. From the 1st-5th I'll be in Daytona for KC-ACTF, and then the following weekend is GA Thespians in which I'm required to work hours for, plus it will just be insane in Columbus around that time. The following weekend is One-Act auditions, and then In Dreams/Nightmares goes up the following weekend. I start actual rehearsals for As You Like It this month too, in addition to all the rehearsals for Robin's show. Aye Caramba.

March
And then I'm off to SETC on March 3rd-6th in Atlanta to audition for professional companies in hopes of landing an acting job after graduation. One-Act rehearsals begin on the 14th, and As You Like It is rehearsing as well. I will also be required to attend production meetings for the one-acts as I am taking sound design and will be needing to sound design a one act. Oh yeah and I also forgot one tiny thing-My SENIOR ACTING RECITAL goes up on the 25th, and the following weekend starts Tech rehearsals for As You Like It.


April
From the 1st-10th my life will be consumed with tech rehearsals and performances of As You Like It (It goes up the 7th!) and then that's over. However One-Act tech rehearsals start the week after. The next couple weekends will be consumed by one-acts and Dance Extravaganza rehearsals, no doubt. The day after One-Acts are over I've gotta high-tail it to Augusta for the weekend to be in Brooke's wedding on the 29th-30th.

May
May 2nd is the last day of classes. (Classes?! When will I have time for those?!) And Dance Extravaganza goes up on the 5th. However.....on the 9th....I ....will...be....A COLLEGE GRADUATE WITH A BFA THEATRE PERFORMANCE DEGREE. And ready to enter the real world!

So. There we have it. My Spring Semester of doom. Thank GOD my course load is light. I'm so incredibly thankful for taking summer/maymester classes because if I hadn't done that I would be killing myself to fit everything in! I literally only have theatre practice on M/W, and I have no classes on Fridays. T/TRs are going to be packed with classes, but that's just the way it worked. I have breaks though which is nice- and none of the classes are immensely stressful necessarily.

At some point I am going to have to find time to squeeze in Saber meetings and writing articles and things as well- since I definitely am not going to have time for a real person's job which is sad because I definitely need to save up money in order to move...ahh.

Speaking of moving after graduation. I have been doing some thinking lately. The bottom line is I definitely want to be in NYC. My initial plan was to go to Augusta and live there for about 6 months or so, and just work my butt off and raise money. However, I have been wondering if it is really the best idea for me to be in Augusta, making money, yet being far away from any opportunities I may get in the meantime-whereas I could perhaps be somewhere like Atlanta and paying rent, but being really close to tons of more opportunities and be able to maybe get signed on to an agency and do a year or so of professional work before heading to NY? These are just thoughts I'm thinking about. It would be definitely easier to take advantage of lucrative stand-in work and things like that if I'm already in Atlanta instead of commuting from Augusta, and I could easily share an apt. with friends that will be there. I'm also worried about being just stagnant career-wise in Augusta. I don't want to just slave away for money in order to get to NY while I could be slowly building up my career and making money at the same time. Also, if I am submitting to agencies earlier than I would have more of an incentive to move there as well. Then after a year or so, I could have alot of more experience and have beefed up my resume with professional work- making a move to NYC seem alot more feasible and I could have more time to prepare for it.

Of course, you never know what will happen in life. I could get a job from SETC, or heck, who knows- I could even get a job in NYC from an audition I will go on after graduation. (I want to go there and audition for my graduation present!)

But as you can see from my hectic schedule to come- I'm definitely going to embrace and enjoy these breaks coming up and try to utilize this time to the best of my ability! I'm a little annoyed that I don't know what part I am in As You Like It yet- as I wanted to really familiarize myself with my lines- but I guess I'm just going to have to familiarize myself with the entire play in general, or at least all the female roles- which is not a bad thing I suppose. I'm also going to use my breaks to submit to agencies and companies and the like, and to get off book for everything in advance- such as ACTF material and such. I also will need to find Sr. Project material during this time.
But it's okay- this is just the life of a theatre major, haha! I will get through it! It will make me a little insane- but I know it will all work out somehow. And the rewards will be great.

No comments: