Monday, July 21, 2008

Legally Blonde?



OK. So. Tonight is the finale of Legally Blonde: The Search for the new Elle Woods. The winner of this show will actually be starring as one of the most vocally demanding roles on Broadway right now, Elle Woods, in the musical Legally Blonde on Broadway. For starters, this whole show was a mistake to me. I mean, there are many VERY qualified and talented performers out there and if they would have just had even an open call audition, or let the under-study come in it would have been so much better. But of course, MTV had the brilliant idea of using a reality show to find out who the next person will be. So, upon watching the first episode I was expecting that the finalists they chose would all be truly amazing singers, at least. I mean, you HAVE to be to play this role. Elle belts like crazy in pretty much every song.
So I watch the first episode and the first thought that is running through my head is "WHAT!? I can do better than that!" They were...awful. And it just went downhill from there.
I haven't been keeping up with the episodes but I watched some re-caps online last night... and I feel as if there is only one girl that I feel deserves it as she is older and experienced in professional theatre, and she obviously has the best voice as well as the most real acting out of all of the girls. The other frontrunner is cute, but her acting is an exact imitation of Laura Bell Bundy...nothing there.
And the third girl cannot sing. Simply put.
I'm worried for the future of this musical. At least the winner only is contracted to do it for two weeks.. haha. Although that may be too long!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I seem to recall that a person does not necessarily have to be as talented as you claim to star in a Broadway musical performance, or any for that matter. Many times have there been actors/actresses that have not been quite "there" when it comes to their talent level, but still they become well known for the roles they are cast. Of course turning a hit movie into a musical (like they are supposedly trying with Spiderman) is, in my opinion, a waste of time period. I agree the show is beyond ridiculous, and I don't understand how this could be a more effective way of finding a truly talented person suitable for the part; but with statements such as "I can do better" being made about people who have made it much farther than yourself, one would be forced to wonder if you really could. Just a small amount of constructive criticism, take it or leave it, nothing personal, you just reverberated with conceitedness in this one. Humility could go a long way...

Janine DeMichele said...

I had no intention of sounding conceited...but it was frustrating when I watched the first episode, expecting the finalists to be amazing, and I was terribly disappointed. When I said that I thought I could do better it wasn't meant in a conceited way because I know I have alot to work on, personally, but I meant it as a statement of saying that I thought they would have picked finalists that were better than I am, at least. And yeah some of them were, but overall I just was not impressed.

Anonymous said...

I was also not impressed with any of them. I find it a sort of, corruption if you will, of the way Broadway productions should be cast. Well any major production really. All shows like that seem to provide are ways for people to make fools of themselves on television.

Bombchell said...

good gosh i definitely don't bother watching that show. plus i'm also not a fan on even dance shows, talent shows etc, so there's nothing for me to watch on tv.

all this for 2 weeks. well hopefully being on the show doesn't destroy their reputation if they are horrible. I thought they would be good singers though from the commercials etc.

jimpharr. said...

wow. people kinda jumped on you there. i read it and didn't get a sense that you were speaking from higher place... oh well. i agree with you. all points. end.