Friday, July 11, 2008

Midsummer Macon is Over.

So, most of you that know me probably know what I have been up to this summer- I have been working at Midsummer Macon. Well, today was my VERY LAST DAY and I am back home in Augusta.
For those of you that were questioning what I actually did there, I will tell you.
I created lesson plans for three one hour classes per day- all filled with about 15-20 kids ages 6-9. I was the acting/theatre teacher so mainly what I did was play theatre games such as charades, a game I kind of came up with that is like Freeze Dance but instead of just dancing I made them act out certain scenarios and people (i.e: 'you are walking on hot lava,' 'you are an 80 yr. old at a nursing home dance party) and many other things including Ninja Pie... which happened to be a huge hit among the kids :)

Also, each week we had a craft-like activity that tied theatre into it. I alternated between making puppets and making masks and letting the kids come up with a play to go with what they made. It actually kind of disturbed me that the majority of the kids came up with plays that involved lots of violence and/or included one or more people dying at the end. Another disturbing fact: my SIX year old kids knew the words and were singing along to Katy Perry's song, "I Kissed a Girl." I realized this when a counselor's phone went off and that was the ringtone and about half the class was singing along with it. I mean, the song is catchy and all...but what message are we really giving our kids? Sheesh!

But really... if there is one thing that I learned about doing this camp it is that I really don't want to have kids for a long time, lol. I mean it was fun and I learned alot but... Phew.... dealing with that many kids all the time just wears on your nerves. There is only so much crying/yelling/running around I can take. The good thing about it is that alot of the shyer kids really embraced the class towards the end and finally broke out of their shell a bit. That is always nice to see. I think though that I still would rather be performing right now, and not teaching until I am about 40 or so. =] Hopefully next summer I will have me a nice acting job. But Midsummer Macon was a good opportunity, and for anyone that wants a job involving theatre it pays pretty well and you get free housing and good food so that is something to keep in mind!

But really though, I am so glad to be back in Augusta. I am going to be working at Express in the mall for the rest of the summer until school starts, so you can come visit me. It's not necessarily my favorite thing to do but I still gotta keep the money rolling in.

No comments: