Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Theatre.

The other day in Senior Seminar, we had to discuss our manifestos- basically our final paper's describing what theatre means to us. Well It eventually turned into this emotional crying session as we realized just how much we all absolutely LOVE what we do. There's just something about being in the theatre that is absolutely magical. I mentioned in class that I have a hard time connecting with people in real life at times but when I'm on stage I'm so connected with the audience and those on stage with me. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world! While person-by-person we talked about our views on theatre, the impact it's made on our lives and how much we love it- I couldn't help but humorously ponder- Do Accounting, Business, or other majors sit around and cry about how much they love calculating figures? I mean I understand people who are these majors enjoy what they do, but it just made me be grateful that I am doing something that I am 100%, unabashedly, absolutely in LOVE with. And I must say that is not to say that these majors are not doing something they are in love with as well, as I am not an idiot- but I guess I'm just testifying to the over-dramatic emotional nature of us theatre majors. We're a crazy lot! I just don't think it happens often in other classes where people just sit around and cry in a circle for 2 1/2 hours over how much they love what they do. But if it has then that is pretty awesome. It's so great to do something you love no matter what it is! I think people also should realize that those that are in the theatre don't do it so that they can one day be famous. If I am never a household  name or making seven figures a year, I couldn't care less to be honest. I mean it would be cool, but that has and never will be my aspiration in life. I have people asking me what I'm planning on doing after college and I always am befuddled by this question- why, I'm going to act of course! All I want career-wise is to make a living being a successful actress on the stage and/or film. I want to be in a National Tour of a musical. I want to do cabaret shows. I want to learn, take workshops, take dance classes, continue to study voice. I want to live in a little apartment in NYC with a cat, be able to walk to an Indian restaurant, go on auditions every morning and just live and breathe theatre, and the city life, and just everything that goes along with it! I can't wait until that is a reality in my life. but for now I have to get through jumping more hoops for school, but I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel! :)

No comments: